It's LinuxCNC, we love to have many ways of doing things.

I'm writing this answer assuming that the goal is to include the
component in LinuxCNC's git tree.

If you are writing a component in .comp format, putting man code in
the docstrings is the way I recommend, though it is the clumsiest
because backslashes for formatting directives like \fI and \fR have to
be doubled to \\fI and \\fR.  This gets automatically converted and
added when the .comp file goes through our build process.

(If you wish you could write asciidoc in a comp file, you're not alone.
I would love to see a feature to do this added to halcompile!)

Otherwise, you can write the documentation in asciidoc format.  This
involves putting the file in docs/src/man/man9 (for realtime components)
or .../man1 (for non-realtime components).  I think additions in these
directories are also picked up automatically by our build system.

If you really like writing man markup directly, then you can put it in
docs/man/man9 or .../man1 and again it should automatically get picked
up by the system.

Jeff