On Friday 20 January 2017 07:46:59 John Morris wrote:

> The manual for G33 spindle synchronized motion [1] reads, "It is an
> error if [...] The requested linear motion exceeds machine velocity
> limits due to the spindle speed."
>
> It seems that doing that actually doesn't cause an error, as
> demonstrated by the regression test in the top commit here [2].
> Instead, the G33 command is happily executed with the axis velocity
> limited to its `MAX_VELOCITY` from the INI file, thus cutting threads
> with smaller pitch than specified in the K flag.
>
> Is this something that should be fixed, or am I reading the
> documentation wrong?

The docs are right, but should emphasize that its an operator error

I have ran into that on TLM, quite some time back.

With my toothpick sized oar, I was resigned to adding that to my
g33-wrapper.ngc, but found my ngc code had no access to the .ini scripts
maxvel.

IMO, this error condition really belongs right in the G33 code for
everyones edification. With 3 possible outcomes.

1, its fits, and results in using less than 75% of the axis's capability
usage while accelerating to lock step speed, do it silently.

2, it can do it but uses more than 75% of that axis's ability at that
spindle rpm, do it, but warn that the spindle speed should not be
raised.

3, Issue the error and refuse to do it, stopping lcnc without any
movement at all, hopefully saving the part, and allowing you to edit a
lower speed (via an s command with a suitable wait for speed) into your
code for the next run.  That of course is only possible if you CAN
control the spindle from g-code. Those that cannot, can only select a
lower rpm by changing the belts, or even bringing in the backgear, but
that would stretch the whole things execution time, killing profits.

Humm, could this test and advice be added to the initial file scan as its
being (re)loaded? That would seem to be an acceptable alternative, and
just as educational to the operator.

Catching the error at that point would save the operator lots of time as
it could be corrected before the r key was touched. Any method of
warning makes an encoderized spindle mandatory of course.

My $0.02, thanks for triggering some old memories John.

> [1]:
> http://linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode/g-code.html#gcode:g33-tech-info
> [2]:
> https://github.com/zultron/machinekit/tree/spindlesync-exceeds-maxvel-