On Tuesday 21 August 2018 09:04:53 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Tuesday 21 August 2018 05:12:03 Nick Koretsky wrote:

> > > Hi Gene!
> > >
> > > When you cannot mount the ext4 partions from one another, then
> > > there is something very wrong. ext4 can be mounted as ext2 and
> > > that should alway work - at least, if the drives and filesystems
> > > are ok.
> >
> > No, you are wrong. There were options added to ext4 which made it
> > incompatible with older kernels. And a few years ago they made this
> > options default. Debian wheezy kernel (3.2) would not mount ext4
> > created in debian stretch.
>
> But will it work in reverse by making the /media/dirs on stretch, and
> mounting the wheezy partitions to them for reading purposes.

no one commented, so I did several experimental installs to find out,
results here and there in this reply.

> I faintly
> recall, on my first install attempt, doing that but could only see the
> partitions root despite trying to cd up a known path, and when I had
> rebooted to wheezy, the partitions were marked dirty and had to be
> e2fsck'd which took about 20 minutes with nothing found. Thats not a
> very confidence inspiring thing.

I found the majority of that networking problem. If during the install,
one specs the interfaces address in CDIR format, www.xxx.yy.zz/24 it
works, if you give it a separate netmask, it fails.  This probably ought
to be looked at and fixed, or the installer should be able to detect the
missing /24 and spit out a prompt to correct the user. That netmask line
is apparently now an error, exiting the e-n-i.d/* file on a reboot at
that point, and nothing you do below that line is executed.

> Since this WAS a 2 list post, going the emc-developers too since this
> install media is theirs, my first attempt used the debian 9.4 1st dvd
> for install media, and networking Just Worked. But lots of other stuff
> didn't.  My 2nd attempt was with the LCNC image of stretch pointed to
> by the wiki.linuxcnc.org pages, and networking is dead.  And my 3rd
> attempt will use that media again.
>
> That big a change in filesystems deserves a migration tool.
>
> So I'm going to go fix the missus breakfast, then get to it a 3rd
> time.

Which turned into at least 4 more reformat/installs before I was done,
finally giving up and only specing 3 partitions. /boot swap and /.

And where I found that a wheezy partition can be accessed by the stretch
filesystem for reading ok if its mounted with a noatime option.  So
thats problem #2 solved. I was able to reboot to either without the time
killing e2fsck's when booting back into this wheezy.

And I finally did a tracking lookup on the new drive hot swap cage, which
was a no-show today, and it seems neweggs low cost shipping is by a
fedex branded ox-cart, and its someplace in Kansas today with a
projected delivery before quitting time Thursday evening.  Sigh.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)