Whilst I think we have decided that it is not possible to distribute
an EtherCAT driver with LinuxCNC[1] it seems that some users are using
it extensively and successfully.

Which leads me to wonder if we should include a section in the
documentation about its use and where to download the enabling
software?

[1] Though where the license-break is is not clear:
Sascha's HAL driver is GPLv2:
https://github.com/sittner/linuxcnc-ethercat but I seem to recall that
actual use of EtherCAT involves an implied compliance with the
Beckhoff terms.
There is a summary here in an old machinekit discussion:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/machinekit$20beckhoff/machinekit/yxQxqNbMvtc/UsaYVfAarCsJ

--
atp
lunatics."