I agree, the motion / TP component now is doing work that doesn't have to
be in real-time. Specifically, the queueing of motion commands and the
lookahead optimization could be done in a user space component. You'd need
a real-time safe queue structure to do it, but it would make the
optimization part much easier to implement. I believe OpenCN took this
approach, and a similar design was.proposed years ago for Machinekit as
well.

As for feedrate override, the TP adjusts the feed rate on the current move
almost instantly. It's a scale factor applied to the target velocity, so it
doesn't actually change the "planned" motion data, just how it executes.