On Samstag, 2. Mai 2020, 08:22:05 CEST Jared McLaughlin wrote:
> In my opinion, linuxcnc should be more like a distro that
> you install packages on. The UI's should be packages that are not
> maintained by the main development team.

That makes sense

> I also agree with the idea that a cleaned up "new version" should be
> considered for the next major release.

Would be nice!

> I have used PathPilot and it seems a lot better than the other
> LinuxCNC UI's I poked at before. That said, I feel like even PathPilot
> has a long way to go ...

Well, I'm the creator of JCNCScreen.

The reason, why I started with such a big time-consuming work was, that none
of the existing UIs was really usable for me (including PathPilot and others).

I'm bit outdated, so I can't read axis and the like, that don't respect
proposals of window manager (i.e. like fontsize). Even on my desktop pc I need
glasses and put my nose onto the screen to be able to read axis ...

For me, it is important, that I'm able to recognize the most important states
of the machine at a glance. Even from a distance of about 4-5 meters.
None of the UI offers this. Most if not all are too noisy - and you need
several seconds to find out, what is relevant and what is just high-polishing
for non-machinists - and even then: not every important state is visible.
Of cause, that does not mean, that I want to read gcode from that distance,
but important machine states should be recognizable.

Another problem is, that neither pyqt, nor gscreen runs on my desktop box. I
don't know enuf of python to solve that problems on my own and it does not
help, if others state, that they don't have problems.
So I started with java, where I know to solve my own problems.
Startup may be too slow, but response time of the running app is fast enuf for
anything.

I don't really need my own UI - if another UI would offer, what I'm looking
for, it would be just fine.

cheers Reinhard