It does sound similar. Yaskawa does have a type of absolute encoder with a
battery backup. Based on the datasheet their absolute encoders have
connector pins for a battery but these ones do not. These do have hall
signals to allow initial commutation. I assume that the yaskawa drives
commutate on the hall signals until the reference point is crossed and then
adjust for normal operation.

If you had to drive fanuc encoder/servos from a bldc component how would
you (roughly speaking) configure them?

-Curt