I know I'm not on the dev team but my take on this is that you have no
choice but to release 2.8 without RTAI.
It appears there are no prospects to resolve the situation which has
clearly been an issue since Wheezy went EOL over two years ago.
By withholding the release of V 2.8 for such an obscene amount of time, you
are hurting the future of this amazing software project.
There are so many great features  in 2.8 and I hazard a guess there has
never been a release candidate of any software in the history of Linux that
has had so much user testing.

This is not a unique situation, and its happened to many software projects
in the past particularly where hardware interfaces are involved, In fact, I
had a software program in this boat and I was unable to purchase any
hardware in Australia to use as a backstop in our production environment.
The software upgrade was $25k and I had only paid $10k for the complete
hardware and software system. I resorted to buying a PC with the right CPU
second hand from the USA to have up my sleeve.

Fortunately, its not going to cost users  anywhere near the $25k I faced to
upgrade their hardware.

Please bite the bullet and release 2.8 without further delay and get this
project back on track. Its just too confusing to have 3  versions out there.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611
VMN®