On Saturday 13 June 2020 20:53:36 andy pugh wrote:

> Is there an expectation that a uspace package would work on whatever
> realtime system it found itself on, or would we need separate builds
> for preempt-rt, xenomai and rtai-lxrt?

What diff would it make if you are spinning an iso?  Spin it for whatever
flavor runs best.

Preempt-rt, particularly with helper cards, has had little or no problems
getting the job done to my satisfaction on the two copies of the intel
D525-MW board that I own, one even doing software stepping for several
years, until it unscrewed a switch protected ball nut and scattered
balls all over.  And my bag of balls I had restuffed those nuts with a
decade back cannot now be found.  So that D525MW and all the motor
drivers that go with it is running the 6040, rather nicely but it grew
some mesa help in getting moved from the old hf mill.  With the mesa
help it can do rapids at 200 ipm.

I built a zenomai system to replace a BDI but before I could formulate an
opinion, a wheezy based iso appeared and thats still running on 3 of my
4 machines. So I don't know a lot about zenomai.

My 4th machine is an armhf running buster with a preempt-rt kernel that
gets 16 u-secs latency but that dissolves to 200 u-secs while starting
firefox. But I don't run FF on that and cut metal. Nothing else seems to
bother it. Running with a 4.19.71-rt24-v7l+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT I built,
getting long in the tooth now, but the rest of the install is uptodate
buster and the currently running LinuxCNC is the buildbots master.  All
have been updated in the last 2 days.

> I did try the experiment of running the current buildbot 2.8-preemtrt
> package on an RTAI system and it chose to use POSIX non-realtime.
>
> I am trying to write some explanatory notes for the 2.8 release, and
> so would like to know if what I observed is what would be expected.

So, do what you think is the best for the "normal" user. Keep in mind
that everything today is 64 bit, a place few of us has jumped into on
our work machines. I expect some teething problems we'll have to work
out.

But I have confidence that won't be as big a problem as our imagination
is telling us. :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis