searching for the same issue I found this blog dunno if it helps or not

https://eccentric.one/blog/linux/20181211-xdg_menu_for_local_installed_application_links.ecc

JT

On 9/16/20 7:35 AM, John wrote:
This is my CNC.menu from this morning's install from buildbot

<!DOCTYPE Menu PUBLIC "-//freedesktop//DTD Menu 1.0//EN"
"http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/menu-spec/menu-1.0.dtd";>
<Menu>
  <Name>Applications</Name>
  <Menu>
    <Name>CNC</Name>
    <Directory>linuxcnc-cnc.directory</Directory>
    <Include>
        <Category>X-CNC</Category>
    </Include>
    <Menu>
        <Name>G-Code Quick-Reference</Name>
        <Directory>linuxcnc-ref.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
        <Category>X-CNC-REF</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>
    <Menu>
        <Name>Documentation</Name>
        <Directory>linuxcnc-doc.directory</Directory>
        <Include>
            <Category>X-CNC-DOC</Category>
        </Include>
    </Menu>