A lot of users prefer to use tommy's instructions to install Linuxcnc on
Mint, over using the Mint ISO with Linuxcnc.

So maybe the devs don't think it's a worthwhile endeavor.

As long as there is some interest I'll continue hosting the ISOs and the
2.8 repo for Bionic ie Mint 19.x

Regrading Mint & submenus.

XFCE on Mint to show subtrees.

Mate on Mint:

1. The mintMenu applet by design, it would seem, doesn't display sub menus.

2. There are two other applets available that do display sub menus.

Based on this it really would seem to be a non-issue.

So far as I can recall no one who has installed Linuxcnc on Mint has
brought this up as an issue, neither has anyone who has used the Mint
ISO with Linuxcnc preinstalled.