I have been studying the stepgen.c code.

I intend to implement it for the orange pi arisc especially, but rpi and bpi and bbb and ilk not so specificly.

Anyway I see some interesting things in the code.

It allows for the steplen and stepspace and dirhold and dirsetup to change.

"""

    if ( stepgen->step_len != stepgen->old_step_len ) {

    if ( stepgen->step_space != stepgen->old_step_space ) {

    if ( stepgen->dir_setup != stepgen->old_dir_setup ) {

    if ( stepgen->dir_hold_dly != stepgen->old_dir_hold_dly ) {

"""

Has that ever been tested?

How? I suppose in a halcmd scenario...

I didnt think those elements were r/w..

just checked, yes they are r/w!

Even the scale can be changed,

"""

    if (stepgen->pos_scale != stepgen->old_scale) {

"""

Was there thought of gear shifting transmissions for stepper motors?

And the thread period can be changed

"""

if (periodns != old_periodns) {

"""

Was the r/w attribute for these params used in some tuning software? All these tests are performed every thread period.

Leave in or strip out?

tomp