Buildbot is not really useful in terms of testing the Debian build until
such times as it can build it on the target OS platform. If that's a
requirement, then the focus should be on buildbot upgrades.
I think back and we had a stretch distro well before stretch was the stable
debian release. It's really been disappointing not to have a Bullseye image
as it has left many users floundering.
There should not be any more work after the next version is hived off
master. The debian release should coincide with the release of the next
production version.
Look at V 2.8, it's only been upgraded 3 times since its release to 2.8.3
now. That's all that should be going to Debian.
I do think however that syncing with the Debian release cycle might require
a different mindset... But I think that would be a good thing.

I think Andy is on the right track. Draw a line, focus on bug fixes and no
new features and get in step with Debian sooner than later so the workload
is not increased.

Rod Webster
*1300 896 832*
+61 435 765 611