On 7/30/22 20:57, Jon Elson wrote:

On 7/16/22 22:05, Jon Elson wrote:

Well, the saga continues!  I thought I had this all working, but then rebooted today, and could not get the MCS9900 card to work properly.  I could run my diag and see the boards respond, but then when I ran some tests, the parport would lock up, and lspci -vv would show "disabled" next to the port addresses.  The only way to clear it was a reboot.  Same thing happened with a Siig OXPCIe952 card.

It is pretty clear that either the driver or some other kernel module is taking control of the parport when I want to run at the "bare metal" level.  This appears to be new behavior with this kernel on the 2.8.2 distro.

So, I gave up on PCIe cards, and swapped the hard drive into a Dell 980 with a parport on the motherboard. All seems to work very well on that system.

Brand new setup using stepconf.   if I spin the spindle encoder quickly by hand I get: rtapi_app: caught signal 8 - dumping core

Even if the machine is still in e-stop.   Simple config using stepconf   LINUXCNC - 2.9.0~pre0 and 5.10 preempt_rt

All default settings other than manual edit of LPT base address and changed   setp encoder.0.position-scale 4000.000000    Default is like 100 vs 4000

Any ideas what causes this error?

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachments/1324/simple.ini

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/media/kunena/attachments/1324/simple.hal

The only mention of a similar error: forum.linuxcnc.org/24-hal-components/358...hercat-lcec?start=10

https://forum.linuxcnc.org/49-basic-configuration/46796-rtapi-app-caught-signal-8-dumping-core

All the files are here.  ^^

I tested this on LCNC 2.8 and I can see encoder signals in halscope but nothing in the Axis GUI spindle rpm display.

And no signal 8 core dump with LCNC 2.8 and RTAI

OK tested LCNC 2.8 with preempt_rt and the encoder signals make it to the GUI using a preempt_rt kernel vs RTAI!

NO signal 8 core dump \0/

So it looks like an RTAI bug with 2.8 at least about the encoders signals to spindle RPM GUI in Axis.

Will go back and trace why preempt_rt has issues with LPT encoders in LCNC 2.9.

Another odd thing is that when also testing the CH382 LPT PCIe card the encoders signals are making it from encoder to BOB through the CH382 and I can see them in halscope BUT the steps generated do not make it out of the CH382 to the BOB. But CH382 debug is another project.

And today I see similar issues with ALL my other LPT controllers with 2.9 and 5.x preempt_rt kernels