Am 08.03.23 um 21:10 schrieb Sebastian Kuzminsky:
On 3/8/23 12:21, Hans Unzner wrote:

Am 04.01.23 um 17:19 schrieb Sebastian Kuzminsky:
On 1/4/23 05:09, Hans Unzner wrote:
However, I have some annotations:
- You could mention that the tests need to be run as sudo (at least for it only worked so) and need Python >= 3.8

Hmm, I run them as a regular user.  Maybe you just installed docker.io, and you have to log out and log back in again for your user's membership in the `docker` group to register?

As for the python version, I run the tests on a bullseye host (python 3.9), I haven't tried running it anywhere else.

Hmm still need to run it as sudo...

Another question: is there a way to update only the linuxcnc-part without a complete rebuild of the docker image? And also it would be nice to be able to run the tests for a local version of linuxcnc (one that isn't already in bookworm).

There's not a great way to update linuxcnc.deb in an existing image unfortunately.  Because the config-test program starts a new container for each config it tests you'd have to install the deb once for each config you're testing...

You could potentially try to strip off the top layer of the docker image (where it installs linuxcnc.deb), and reuse the lower layers (where it installs xvfb and x11vnc, and creates the testrunner user), but i'm not sure it would be worth the hassle, since almost all the build time is in installing the linuxcnc deb and all its dependencies.

There's an awkward manual way to build an image with a local deb. In the Dockerfile, comment out the RUN statement where it installs linuxcnc.deb from the buildbot, and uncomment the COPY and RUN statements after that where it grabs and installs a local linuxcnc deb (it looks for the local deb in the directory you run `docker build` from).

Okay thanks I will try that at some time.

PS: In the README.md, I guess there is a linebreak intended between `docker pull debian:bookworm` and ` docker build ...`. It's displayed on GitHub in one line...