On 6/9/23 10:15, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

Package: linuxcnc
Version: 2.9.0~pre1+git20230208.f1270d6ed7-1

Is the linuxcnc community prepared to support the linuxcnc edition
currently in Debian Bullseye for 3-4 years?  In other words, willing and
able to fix any security issues or other fatal problems with the package
in a timely maner?

2.9.0~pre1+git20230208.f1270d6ed7-1 is the one that is going to be
included in the next stable Debian release.

If not, it might be an idea to ask the ftpmasters and/or release manager
to remove it from testing before tomorrow, to have a chance to get it
removed before the new stable release is published.  I do not know how
long it take to build ISOs and running other release machinery, but
doubt there is much time to successfully get the package removed.

There should also be a release critical bug report (severity critical or
serious) stating that the package is not yet ready for a stable release
in Debian.  Perhaps by upgrading the severity of this bug report.

Given the glacial speed that debian seems to enforce, compared to the day or less we have fixed bugs in the past, I'm in favor of somehow forcing the issue. If its not ready for prime time, it should be killed. Having a showstopper bug at release time is bad form. But if its not ready for 2.9 to be declared, I see a nightmre in support on a very public list.

Gracial speed is currently being demo'd with a udev problem which was fixed in the src's at github 6 months ago, but is not scheduled to make a debian release until the next release after bookworm. To demo that, do an "ls /dev/serial" those of your who are on bullseye using a big and varied usb tree may have a /dev/serial/by-path showing, but the really bulletproof method is a by-id, present for several releases until bullseye, but the fix, while available on github in udev-2.5.3 is not scheduled to be part of bookworm.

This bug, disables the ability of using klipper with a 3d printer. klipper makes sure its output goes to the right place by making use of the unique to each mcu chip used on 3d printer driver boards by including the unique serial number of the chip that drives the board as part of the device name. looks something like this if the bug has been triaged:
usb-Klipper_stm32f429xx_1B0024001651313032333432-if00
That is the cheap btt octopus-pro board indicating that klipper has been flashed to it. which an stn32f429_ followed by the chipid, 2 more cards plugged into the same cable get these:
gene@bpi51:~$ ls /dev/serial/by-id
usb-Klipper_stm32f429xx_3D004C001050325635383820-if00
gene@bpi51:~$ ls /dev/serial/by-id
usb-Klipper_stm32f446xx_1F0032001750335331383820-if00
w/o that unique id, the printer cannot be found and used, the fix has been available on github for 6 months, but is not scheduled to be included in bookworm.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis