The new FCC SAR and MPE requirement applies to what you mentioned. The
cellular phone is measured by
SAR (mW/cubic cm). The actual case is much more complicated than the legal
requirement if you read those
papers. I have cell phone, too, and try not to use it whenever possible.
Then why did you spend the
money in the first place? The answer is I don't know. :)

Regards,
Tom Bao
http://www.rcic.com

At 10:58 PM 12/16/96 PST, mvald...@netvision.net.il wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>I just bought a cellular phone and read in the manual it generates about
600mW (mostly RF at about 800Mhz). I remember an ANSI standard allowing no
more than several(5-10) mW per square cm. Trying to estimate the area near
my ear I guess the energy density is very close or maybe more than the
standard allows.
>Am I mistaken here? Was the phone actually designed for the max power
density? Does my ear becomes warm from the RF energy or just from the
conversation?

>thanks for your comments
>moshe valdman
>972-52-941200 (that's the cellullar phone)
>972-3-5496369
>
>PS
>I know microwave ovens are checked very carefully around the edges for the
5-10 mW(you can get this testing service at the Institute for Standards) and
no one normally even comes close to the edges of the oven (especially not
with the ear)