Can anyone help with the following EMC question?

It concerns equipment shipped to a customer prior to 1996 [ not EMC
tested and not expected to comply ].

We want to upgrade the equipment on the some customers' sites to add new
functions.This will  involve adding some new PCBs & a new wiring loom .
The equipment is still not expected to comply with EMC regs.    Is this
acceptable?

If, instead of doing the work on the customers site, we brought it back
to our factory and did the same work here. Would this be acceptable?

If, to save the customer down time, we modified  a similar piece of
equipment in our factory and then swapped it for the customer's
instrument. Would this be acceptable? Does it depend where the equipment
we modify comes from ?(i.e. It could be unsold factory stock or could
have been returned from a (different) customer).

Appreciate any help!
Philip Tatterton