Jon Duerr wrote:

>     Greetings to all!
>
>     Does anybody have information on the existence (actual or planned) of
>     EMC Regulations/Standards in China or Taiwan?
>
>     Thanks for any help.

The VCCI just published last week a report on their 10th
Anniversary conference that was held Nov 1995.  I suspect that you
might be able to find a copy of that report - assuming your
employer is a VCCI member.

In the back of the VCCI report there is a copy of a presentation
on the subject of Taiwan EMC standards from the chief of the
responsible division of the Taiwan BCIQ.  It fails to mention
target dates, but a previous email on this server revealed that
some the compliance dates are only a few months away.

A recent comment on this list server stated that user manuals (and
EMC test reports too) must be printed in Chinese, and that tests
performed at non-Taiwan labs are not acceptable.  Further, a
formal application and fees (roughly $110 US per product model)
must be submitted to obtain an official certificate to allow
regulated products to enter the country.

Last week I attempted to find a Web site in Taiwan to help
substantiate these statements, plus I searched online Asian news
articles as well - nothing was found.  The VCCI transcript is the
only hard copy on the matter available and it is not written well
enough to convey a clear message.

As for myself, I am trying to deterime if ISM (Industrial,
Scientific and Medical) equipment is regulated under this scheme.
The wording is quite vage for anything but copiers, ITE equipment,
microwave ovens....  My interpretation is that all electronics are
ultimately affected in the 3rd stage, described as "All commodites
in EMC environment", with a compliance deadline of July 1998.

It is suprising and unfortunate that Taiwan has failed to
communicate their new EMC regulations better than this.  Worse
yet, if the requirements for mandatory Chinese lab testing,
Chinese language test report, and Chinese language user manuals
are true - then this seems to be an unfortunate protectionist ploy
in the guise of EMC regulation.

Eric Lifsey
Compliance Engineer, EMC
National Instruments USA