Here's a real and present puzzler for us.

We are a maker of large industrial equipment.

We have a number of existing units in the field in Europe. They
were shipped before January 1996, and do not conform to the EMC
requirements. Customers now wish to order various options and
upgrades to the units.

We are trying to determine in which cases we can simply ship
and install the option/upgrade and remain in legal compliance,
and in which cases we must also remove and replace the
electronic controls and bring the ENTIRE machine into
compliance with the EMC directive.

Here are some sample cases:
1)      ADD AN OPTION WHICH ALLOWS MACHINE TO PERFORM FUNCTION
IT COULDN'T PREVIOUSLY DO.
The option requires that additional control circuitry be added
to the electronics control cabinet.

2)      ADD AN OPTION THAT DUPLICATES AN EXISTING FUNCTION;
e.g. allowing the machine to process 4 raw materials rather
than 3, or deliver to 4 outlets rather than 3. The option
requires adding a few electrical devices to the machine, but
wires into existing control circuits.

3)      ADD AN ADJACENT MACHINE THAT WORKS IN TANDEM WITH THIS
MACHINE AND COMMUNICATES WITH IT; e.g. a robotic feeder to
eliminate manual loading of the machine. The new, adjacent
machine fully complies with all CE directives.

QUESTION:
For each case above, do we have to bring the entire old machine
into compliance with the EMC directive when we add the option?
Why?

I think the answers, repectively, are Yes, No and No, but I
cant tell you why, and therefore am uncomfortable with the
possible legal liability of being wrong.

Any help, opinions, reasoning from you folks would be greatly
appreciated!

Mike Sherman
FSI International
m_sher...@delphi.com