Following is an E-mail response from a UK EMC consultant that we depend
on for issues such as this:

Hi Doug

Still a point of clarification on the EN 61000.3.2 implementation dates.
 The
forward on page 2 of the standard states:
 " For products which have complied with EN 60555-2:1987  before
1997-01-01,
as
shown by the manufacturer or by a certification body, this previous EN
may
continue to apply for placing product on the market until 2001-01-01"
This is the date of withdrawal of the EN 60555-2:1987 either standard can
be
used until that date for demonstrating compliance of products within the
scope
of the EN 60555:1987.  Following that date all new products (designs),
must be
tested against the new standard for compliance.  Existing products
(designs)
can
continue to be marketed calling up the EN60555:1987 standard until
2001-01-01.

The A12 amendment, in addition to making allowance for equipment which
did not
come under the scope of EN60555:1987 to comply by 1998-06-01,  also
changes
the
1997-01-01dates above to 1998-06-01 i.e  June 1st 1998.

 I hope that clears the situation up I can only apologise on behalf of
CENELEC
and the Commission for turning a simple situation into chaos. I can fax
you a
copy of A12 if you do not have it.