This whole debate points to a lack in the standards development
world that I have lamented for many years (and done something
about whenever I could).

THERE IS NO RATIONALE STATEMENT WITH THE REQUIREMENTS !!!!

Time and again, one butts up against a wall, when one wants to change
something, that goes somewhat like, Well those folks must have known
what they were doing, and I don't want to change it unless I know
why it was so in the first place.

Those folks probably did have a rationale, but not necessarily a
good one, and not necessarily one that is still valid today.  Unless
the standard tells me what the rationale was, what it was that they
were trying to protect against, I must assume, as a catalyst for
change, that it is probably invalid today.  Hence,

EVERY REQUIREMENT IN A STANDARD OR TECHNICAL REGULATION, MUST HAVE
A RATIONALE STATEMENT, OR THE REQUIREMENT SHALL BE DEEMED OUTDATED.

Ciao,

Vic