Bob Johnson wrote:

>I would tend to discount some of the war stories about low voltage
>electrocution. I suspect many are urban legends (invented or embelished
>but passed around often and long enough to give some air of authority),
>and others have not been given due investigation for such problems
>as higher voltage leakage currents, internal catheters and similar side
issues.

Sorry Bob, the story was not fabricated nor imbelished.  I was a project
engineer at UL Santa Clara at the time that the guy was electrocuted in his
swimming pool due to the lens of the 12 volt pool light fixture breaking, and
Harry Kavanaugh (now retired) and Wally Wedekind (retired eons ago) had the job
of formulating requirements that would prevent a recurrance. Later I wrote the
standard on swimming pool transformers, the type  which would provide the
required isolation. I mention writing that standard as an aside because I know
of no other instance where the first draft of a proposed standard was written
by single individual. Usually it is a group effort. The Santa Clara office was
a small group back then, only about 12 engineers when I started. Come to think
of it, that probably makes me older than dirt, but what the heck.

Gabriel
HNS