I would agree that the definition is wooly but there are some points that are
clear.

First, 'excluded installations' are not outside the scope of the UK regulations.
They
are excluded only from the need to be CE marked and have a DoC as a whole and
from the need to meet the requirements of one of the routes to compliance, They
do need to meet the protection requirements. You can be prosecuted under the
UK regulations for supplying an excluded installation that causes interference.

Second, there is no distinction between intallations supplied by one and by
multiple manufactures. The distiction is between installations made from general
purpose sub-systems and installations made from sub-systems specifically
intended for use in such an installation. A industrial jam cooking system built
with standard motors, motor controllers, fans, heaters, temperature controllers
and motorised valves could count as an excluded installation even if all the
electrical parts came from the same manufacturer.

Third the installation must be put together at a specific place. I take this to
imply a fixed installation assembled on site.

If your training system consists of standard computer system parts,
computer, monitor, printer etc. cabled together in ways envisaged by
the manufacturers of those parts plus your software then I don't think
it could be classed as an excluded installation.

If each of these parts is individually CE marked, the easy way out is
for you to declare for EMC purposes that you are not supplying a
system but marketing a bundle of indivdual items of equipment plus
some cables plus some software. The last two do not need CE making
and the rest are the responsibilities of their respective manufactures.

The excluded installation is not the easy way out it first seems except
for manufacturers of plant that only exists in its final form on site.
Each of the sub-systems must be tested and comply and must have
instructions on how it may be integrated in such a way that the
installation continues to comply. To be able  to give such instructions
in confidence it is likely that you would need to test the sub-system
in something like its installed configuration. You need to ensure the
intallation is assembled according to those instructions and to document
the whole installation.

These rules apply specifically to the UK implimentation. Although installations
are mentioned in the Commission guidelines. I am not aware of them being
incorporated in any other national implimentation. They are not in the French
or German ones.

Nick Rouse