Sandy Florence asked whether anybody knew anything about IEC-529 and "do
you have to comply with it"

You'll have to be a bit less cryptic with that question.

IEC-529, is the brainchild of TC70 on Degrees of Protection provided by
enclosures
(IP Code) and is a basic Safey Publication.

TC70 prepares international standards, including appropriate test methods, where
those
have not been provided in other IEC Publications, for degrees of protection
provided by
enclosures against ingress of solid foreign objects and water and against access
to dangerous parts.  That includes standardization of access probes for use in
IEC Publications.  In as much
as the standards you use, invoke IEC Probes, or call for IPs, yes I believe that
you will have
to comply.

According to my information, neither the USA or Canada participates in the work
of TC70,
but I would be very surprised if my old friend Walter Skuggevik of UL did not
track what happens there, just to keep the fickle finger of UL alive and well.
In addition, Al Brazauski,
now back with UL, headed a taskforce in IEC TC74 that was looking at enclosures.

Regards,

Vic