Ron Fotino said:

     "I don't know about the "legal" position.  However, it seems to
     me if you are buying the PC for personal use, there is no risk
     of losing your PC."

     Fully agree.  If the manufacturer recalls the product, there
     is no obligation on the part of the buyer to respond to such a
     recall.  I would be very surprised if the "recall" by a small
     jobber in London, would result in a return of more that 5% of
     the products he assembled.

     (I would be very surprised if a small jobber in London would
     not just disappear and open up under a new name in another
     section of the city before being put into a position where
     he/she would have to do a recall).

     "If you are buying alot of them for corporate use or resale,
     might I suggest you "leverage" the manufacturer to do the
     proper testing and make the declaration.  You could test them
     yourself.  This is a problem though because the manufacturer
     could make changes without letting you know."

     If the assembler is working on a scale where he/she fills
     corporate orders or delivers for resale, we are no longer
     talking about a real "SMALL" operation in the first place.

     In addition, most corporations that buy PCs in bulk do have
     policies in place (for self protection purposes) that would
     not allow them to buy stuff that is not properly certified
     and marked.

     Ergo, while this is sound advise, I doubt that in real life
     this advise is needed.  It is part of the normal business
     environment.

     "It is very realistic to believe that a small PC "manufacturer"
     would go into liquidation before facing prosecution."

     I must repeat that in a world where the PC is subject to so
     many innovations, at so rapid a pace, that much of the
     assembling, upgrading and integrating will be done by "other
     than" the original equipment manufacturers, the notion of
     testing/certifying products as a whole is becoming
     increasingly anachronistic.

     I suspect that trying to test/certify/license the assemblers
     will prove equally anachronic.  There are just too many hungry
     people out there that need to make a living.

     Collectively, we will have to put on our thinking caps and try
     and find "do-able" solutions.

     Regards,

     Vic  Boersma