Recently I have seen some questions in this group regarding hi-pot testing
and IEC1010 and prEN50116.

I am not familiar with prEN50116 (perhaps someone can enlighten me about
that), but I am familiar with IEC1010 and hi-pot testing.

In amendment 2 to IEC1010 Annex K changes from Informative to Normative
(becomes required). This Annex describes the routine manufacturing line
testing for products which includes hi-pot testing. I am sure that this
will be added to the harmonized equivalents as well, ANSI/ISA S82.01, CSA
1010.1, EN61010-1, and UL3111-1.

Also, I believe that hi-pot testing is required by UL as well as CSA in the
majority of their electronic product categories. It may be in the Section
General or in an Appendix rather than in the Section which describes the
product, but I feel sure that UL believes that it is required.

It would also surprise me if organizations like VDE and TUV don't also feel
that hi-pot testing is a requirement. I believe that we would be doing
hi-pot testing at this company whether it was required by the standard or
not, because we feel it is a good thing to do.

If my understandings here are not accurate, I am confident that someone
will now let me know.

Richard Payne
Tektronix, Inc.
richard.pa...@tek.com