From: Steve Chin
To: emc-pstc; PS
Subject: Re: EMC Directive
Date: Wednesday, April 17, 1996 9:22AM

I agree with Tony that a RAID (not RAID Array - there's no such thing!) =
is unlikely to be found in a residential installation, with one caveat. =
The RAIDs that my company produces are becoming used in an increasingly =
large amount by people producing digital video. Most of these people =
either work out of their homes or they have shops in small offices =
located in residential areas.

The only good thing I can see from this situation is that they don't use =
RAID 3 or RAID 5 units. They prefer the speed they get from a RAID 0 =
system.

Thus, we qualify our RAID 3/5 systems to class A (since they're used =
almost exclusively by banks, magazines, newspapers, and the sort), and =
our less complicated RAID 0 systems to class B for EMC.

We qualify the safety of all of these systems to the various variations =
of the 950 standard, as required by the markets in which we sell.

60MHz systems can be problematic, especially if you're running =
single-ended SCSI. I hope you're not, since the 60MHz stuff has a lot of =
problems that are EMC and non-EMC related if you're single-ended. Are you =
running 60MHz interfaces on the disk drives, the RAID controller, and the =
host? If so, you have fewer problems than if you're mixing in fast SCSI =
with Ultra (should I have mentioned that word?).

Well, good luck, Philip. Disk drive systems are such fun!

Steve Chin
FWB, Inc.
Menlo Park, CA, USA
steve_c...@fwb.com