Hi everybody,

     thank you all for participating and donating your experience and
     views. I have been out of the office for a week and then I was
     overwhelmed by the number of responses, so it took me some time to
     write this reply.
     I want to make some things more clear, and comment on some of the
     suggestions.

     1. I never suggested that the "big name" PC makers are deliberately
     selling us non-compliant computers. I think they do their best but
     they tend to put more weight on cost, aesthetic appearance and ease of
     assembly then on lasting EMC performance.
     I never tested PC's as they come "out of the box", and frankly I am
     only interested in testing them after they have been configured to
     Scitex's needs.

     2. In my opinion it is not practical to keep a "golden PC" in the lab.
     First, I do not have the budget for it. Second, if you keep it long
     enough it becomes irrelevant, since models are changing and R&D always
     tries to stay ahead and develop for the fastest computers available.
     So I have to get a full system each time I start testing. (I believe
     this is even more so for an independent testing lab).

     3. The same applies for "golden cables". Since we sell a full system,
     I check it with the same cables we intend to ship. (And we do find
     cable problems in many cases.)

     4. I hope the "big name" PC makers EMC engineers are also listening in
     on us (some have also commented). I know they are doing their best in
     better electronic design (e.g. multipoint grounding of the main board
     - something I saw on some new PC's) and I don't think I can personally
     help much in this area. I think we should help them convince their
     bosses it is required to put a higher priority on the long term EMC
     performance (i.e. mechanical packaging design).

     thank you all again for your cooperation

     moshe valdman
     mgr - EMC, Safety, Reliability and Components Engineering
     Scitex Israel

     PS
     I was actually afraid my original letter was too "flaming". But then I
     found out there were many people out there who were even more mad
     about this then me. So maybe we can try to influence things a bit.