Martin,

I worked on a 30 m site with sheet metal ground plane last year.  It got to
45 deg C several times during the summer  and it was HOT.  I also got
snowblind from the glare.  This ground plane was spot welded along the
seams, had great site attenuation characteristics and seemed to hold up
well - until the flash flood this winter.  The rushing water picked up a
third of the galvanized sheets and moved them 30 - 40 meters down stream.
The mesh ground plane on the nearby 10 meter site got dirty but was
otherwise unharmed.

I suppose if the metal had been bolted into concrete or if the pad had been
higher the site would not have suffered, but I wonder whether the added
expense over using mesh is worth it.  Also, the sheet metal ground plane
got HOT (did I mention how hot it got?)