Subject: Re: CE Marked  Subassemblies & Components
Author:  "Jim Hulbert" <hulbe...@pb.com> at internet
Date:    6/12/97 5:00 PM

     I agree that your keyboard subassemblies in and of themselves need not
     be CE marked or FCC certified if they not sold to the end user.  It
     sounds from your description that they are sold to a system integrator
     who in turn sells the final system to the end user.  The system
     integrator is responsible for the compliance of the whole system, which
     will include your keyboard.

     The system integrator, however, would expect that the subassembly you
     supply for use in his system would be designed with EMC in mind and
     would not cause his system to fail EMC testing.  I don't see how you
     as a supplier can guarantee that without doing some testing of your
     own.

     It is perfectly acceptable for a system integrator to use different
     suppliers' subsystems (i.e. PC chassis, monitor, keyboard, mouse,
     printer, etc...) that are individually CE marked and declare system
     compliance with the EMC Directive, provided that any conditions of the
     CE marking for the subsystems (i.e. use of shielded cables, etc...) are
     strictly followed.  However, it is wise for the system integrator to
     make sure CE marked subsystems have in fact been properly tested for
     compliance.  I would request, as a minimum, a copy of the test report.
     If the manufacturer can't or won't supply test data, I would either
     test myself or find another vendor for that subsystem.  The same goes
     for systems assembled from individually FCC certified subsystems.

     When a product is CE marked,  I don't believe it is ever necessary to
     list the representative systems the product was tested in on the
     Declaration of Conformity.  The DoC should list the Directives that
     are met and the standards that were applied.  If there is a wide
     variety of possible system configurations, it may be wise to follow
     the TCF route to compliance.  In that case the DoC should name the
     competent body that assessed the TCF.

     One final note, CE marking (or FCC certification) is generally only
     appropriate for equipment or subsystems that have an intrinsic
     function for an end user, such as a PC or a CRT monitor.  It is
     generally not appropriate for individual components that in and of
     themselves have no intrinsic function.  If you assemble a product from
     "uncertifiable" components, obviously you are obligated to do complete
     compliance testing on the final product yourself because you place
     your product on the market.

     *All views are my own and not those of my employer*

     Jim Hulbert                                    Tel:    203-924-3621
     Senior Engineer - EMC                          Fax:    203-924-3352
     Pitney Bowes                                   email:  hulbe...@pb.com
     P.O. Box 3000
     35 Waterview Drive
     Shelton, CT  06484-8000  U.S.A.