Bob, to reply quickly,

 Not speaking for Cisco, and not having any specific
knowledge of that product or that approval, and without
checking the 2 spec's for comparison at this time...
I'm recalling that the measurement aperture size is
different for the 2 spec's (10mm vs. 15mm??), so even
if the pwr limits may be the same at a given wavelength,
for classification, the measurement is, I believe,
performed differently, thus - different measurement
values can be obtained for the same product per the
2 different specifications.

 I'm sure someone here will look into this deeper....

 Best regards,

 Stephen C. Phillips

 These opinions are my own, and not those of Cisco Systems.

At 01:18 PM 6/2/97 -0400, you wrote:

>I came across a safety notice from Cisco indicating that under a certain
failure mode one of their single Mode FDDI cards will exceed  EN 60825
limits for a class I laser device, but still meet U.S. limits.