Jan 15, 1997.

FROM:  michael_ba...@atk.com

Item Subject:  Measurement Uncertainty Update

Greetings again Tregers;

Thank you all for responding to my questions on measurement uncertainty. I
received more than 20 responses. This is what I have concluded:
(1)     Some in the community are confusing measurement uncertainty with
sampling uncertainty (80/80 rule).
(2)     There is no consensus on the subject.

" If there is one fundamental proposition for the expression of
uncertainties, it is: the information content of the statement of
uncertainty determines, to a large extant, the worth of the result."

" Since two observers making measurements on the same EUT will not obtain
the same results, it is important that the measurement uncertainties be
understood by both observers and a consistent method of determining these
uncertainties
be used. "  -TIA/EIA-603.

" In my opinion, the measurement uncertainty is unnecessary . . .
measurement uncertainty is a lot of hog wash . . . .explain why his
measurements at home were different than the measurements at the test site
"

" passing is passing and failing is failing"

" If I were a customer I'd want to see statements of measurement
uncertainty for all data."

After consulting NIS 82, The Treatment of Uncertainty in EMC Measurements
published by NAMAS; Appendix B of TIA/EIA-603 Measurement Uncertainties
April 95;  Determining and Reporting Measurement Uncertainties, 1994 by
NCSL; and  Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, 1995,
published by the IEC et al, our group has come up with a draft process for
determining the measurement uncertainty, the measurement uncertainty number
for the group, and the group policy for determining compliance, that is,
how our group will use measurement uncertainty.

The uncertainty is base on both type A evaluation of uncertainty using a
statistical analysis of a series of observations, and type B evaluation of
uncertainty using values given in equipment spec sheets. This figure takes
into account random variability of the measurement process and
uncertainties of calibrated equipment. It can not be used to compensate for
error in measurement procedures, transcription errors, or malfunctioning
equipment.

The area our group needs help on is in immunity testing.

I have heard that there will be a session on measurement uncertainty at the
EMC one day mini symposium scheduled  May1 somewhere in the DC area. I look
forward to it.

It is my opinion that measurement uncertainty is more than "a lot of hog
wash". And personal opinion aside, it is now, or soon will be a requirement
for all EMC labs.

J Michael Barge
Alliant Techsystems
Annapolis, MD                           Standard disclaimer statement.