I am trying to understand the requirements and the rationale behind the
Insulation co-ordination Impulse tests of IEC664, IEC1010-1, etc.

Were these impulse levels determined by testing?
If so does a report on the testing exist in a location that I can access?
I assume testing was done and a multiplication factor was applied to the
maximum value found.

Are the impulse test levels defined peak from ground,
or peak value added to the power sinewave at 90 and 270 degrees?
Another way of asking this is, in testing for a 1000 V, CAT III circuit,
is it 8,000 volt peak impulses, or 8 KV plus 1,414 V = 9,414 V peak?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, either directly or through this
great network.
Thank you in advance.

Wayne Thomas
Tektronix