Mark Frankfurth wrote,

>    We are looking into the purchase of a surge generator for 1000-4-5
> compliance testing on a 208V 3-phase industrial product.  It would be
> helpful to hear of experiences and advice from the PSTC members
> regarding the generators from suppliers like Keytek, Schaffner,
> Haefely-Trench, Velonex, etc.

One of the hard lessons I have learned over the years about purchasing
specialized EMC equipment is that it sometimes fails (invariably when you
are extremely busy). Since the equipment is so unique usually only the
manufacturer can repair and re-calibrate your equipment. Some of these
manufacturers have extremely long turn around time for repairs, some don't
have all parts in stock and have to order them to repair your unit, some
charge excessively, and some have the nerve to charge you a fee to increase
your priority on their repair list. Most of the people on your list make
fairly decent equipment (there are also others I can think of) so after you
decide on what features and price combination you like, don't be shy in
demanding guarantees on repair or calibration turn around time or
alternately the provision of loaner equipment while yours is in the shop
and that those guarantees be written in the sales contract.

Regards,

Kevin Harris
Compliance Engineering Manager
Digital Security Controls