Hi, Bob.

As a point of clarification, it's important to make the distinction of
what you mean by "circuit breaker."  "Circuit breaker" has long since
become the name applied to the manually resettable, handle type
supplementary overcurrent protectors (in some circles, calling one of
these a circuit breaker will garner a swift rebuff).  When the US NEC
calls something a circuit breaker, it means the branch circuit
overcurrent protector.

For the branch circuit device, refer to Section 210-22 of the NEC.

For supplementary protectors in a product, the concerns will be
primarily limited to nuisance tripping, and whether or not it provides
adequate protection for your equipment under fault conditions.  Here,
sizing is generally at your discretion, but there are some wiring
protection concepts you should be aware of in Clause 3 of the 950 based
standards.  If any questions arise about suitability, testing can
resolve them.

Regards,

Peter L. Tarver
Nortel