Rich:

You asked for comments on User-Friendliness of standards.

My own personal preferences are as follows:

I like to use a standard that has all of the information on a certain issue
close together in the document. For example, I do not find it friendly when
a standard has a section separate from the main body of the document which
contains the national deviations, and then another section which contains
the changes due to a certain amendment, etc.

I would prefer to see a standard which allows me to look at a particular
clause and see at that point all of the requirements including all
amendments and deviations, etc. I also appreciate being able to see at that
point what text has been deleted due to an amendment as well as what has
been added.

I could add that where there are official interpretations or explanations
of the requirements, I would prefer that those be included in the same
clause, again so that I can open the standard to one point and see all of
the information relating the requirements of that clause (or subclause).

Beyond that it would also be helpful if the standard was organized in a
manner which was logical and intuitive such that it allowed one to be able
to look at the table of contents with a specific question in mind and
easily determine where to turn to in the standard to see the requirements
that relate to that specific question.

However, what seems logical and intuitive may vary from person to person
depending on their experience and the environment they work in. To a
certain degree, each standard (or family of standards) seems to have its
own particular terms and organizational logic. I am not sure that we can
ever really get away from the need to become somewhat familiar with a
particular standard before its organizational structure can seem logical
and intuitive.

However, I would still hope that as a new standard is developed that there
would be some consideration given to structuring it in a manner that allows
those using the standard later (who had no involvement with its development
and the intent or rationale behind the organization) to easily find the
information they are looking for.

Just my opinion, I too would be interested to see how others feel about
this.

Richard Payne
Tektronix, Inc.
richard.pa...@tek.com