Subject: Re: RC-unit bridging the insulation
From:    Gabriel Roy/HNS <gabriel_...@notesgw.hns.com> at Internet
Date:    5/9/97  8:28 AM

Raymond,

Since this is a TV receiver, this is probably a circuit providing the antenna
discharge path required by section 43 of UL 1492, the standard for Audio-Visual
Products and Accessories.

The purpose is to bleed off the static charge which builds up on a typical TV
outdoor antenna, caused mainly by the wind blowing dust particles across the
elements.

Of course that's only my personal opinion.

Gabriel R. Roy
Hughes Network Systems
MD
(46 days)

Raymond Li wrote
---------------------------- snip ----------------------------------

In most of television receivers, the mains is isolated by an isolating
transformer.  However, a RC-unit (i.e., two 5.6M ohm resistors in
series and connected parallel with a 0.022uF capacitor) is connected
between accessible parts and mains.  What is the primary function of
this RC-unit?

According to sub-clause 10.3 "Insulation resistance and dielectric
strength" of EN 60065, the tests can be done with disconnection of the
RC-unit.  In type test, the test should not impose any problem but in
production, the RC-unit cannot be practically disconnected on finished
products before the tests take place.  Insulation resistance and
dielectric strength tests are ones recommended by most approval
agencies such as BEAB, UL, CSA, etc.  In general practice, the RC-unit
is not disconnected and select a higher trip current, i.e. 5 or 10 mA
on the withstanding voltage tester.  Why does the standard require the
disconnection of RC-unit for the tests?  Is there any deviation from
the spirit of the standard in the production tests?

In sub-clause 9.1.1 "General - Accessible parts shall not be live" of
EN 60065, should the RC-unit be disconnected on the leakage current
measurement?  What is the impact on the true leakage current of the
insulation with the RC-unit?

Appreciating any guidance.

Raymond Li
Dixons Asia Ltd.