Relative to your comments in the attached Email on testing MOVs

3.  In my opinion, use of these parts must include a disconnect means to
cover
the fault case.

About fusing MOVs

I have an application designed for the US market and now being considered
for the European market.  It can be powered from 48 to 250 VDC or 120 to
240VAC.  Presently there are MOVs line to line and each line to ground. For
EMC emission reasons I need to recycle the design.

I have witnessed the same events you describe and have read the various
postings concerning surge suppression.  MOVs obviously require some care in
applying both from an engineering and standards point of view.  I have
considered limiting impedances but I believe I couldn't afford more than
100 ohms and I believe I am just shifting the problem out a few standard
deviations from occurring.

I have thought about fusing.  It appears that I would need two fuses since
I could be sourced from US 240 with two hot circuits (a floating neutral).
I could restrict the application to systems with neutrals referenced to
earth.

My application does not like fuses (a protective relay) so I also have
considered using Positive Temperature Coefficient "PTC" ceramic fusing
devices from Murata.  They are sold as protection devices for transformer
overloads and have voltage ratings up to 265 Volts.  On over current they
open like a fuse and therefore would limit the joule exposure to the MOV,
after the event they would recover and I would be powered again.  Of course
I would need to coordinate the reaction time to the joule ratting of the
MOV.

Does anyone have experience in this area?

I have also considered scrapping MOVs altogether! Using passive inductors,
Caps resistors to pass surge.  I am still foggy on the restrictions imposed
by the LVD versus local safety standards.  Any feed back would be
appreciated.

Does any one know of good sources for inductors used in this application?
I have calls into Siemens USA to get catalog on their VDE 565-2 recognized
inductors.

Regards

Chris Wells
Sr Des. Eng.
Cutler-Hammer
well...@ch.etn.com

-------------
Original Text
From: C=US/A=INTERNET/DDA=ID/bobdb(a)VNET.IBM.COM, on 5/15/97 10:36 PM:
from--bo...@vnet.ibm.com

Several years ago I tested MOV devices from several manufacturers.  All had
nominal rating of 70 volts and 10 joules.  My testing forced breakover with
10-ohm limiting resistor.  Source voltage was 120 mains and simple
fill-wave
rectifier.  The results were quite interesting and (my opinion) point out
that the circuit designer must consider all aspects of a part when used in
a safety-sensitive application.

1.  All parts failed rather violently, with a large plume of dense smoke
and
some flaming, as the overcoat materials decomposed and burned away.

2.  Following the flaming stage was a 'cooking' stage.  These parts
collapsed
to approximately 7 volts breakover zener characteristic and soaked up the
high energy available.  Judging by the white-hot color the surface
temperature
was approximately 1200 C.  I let several of these tests run for 10
minutes---
these are very rugged parts, basically a ceramic sprayed with metallic
coating for lead connection.  Some of the parts lost connectivity and ended
the tests, but this is not reliable.