There are some definite problems with using attached files! Internet
communications (due to it's old origins) can only transmit ASCII (7 bit
text) files. Files such as WORD, tif etc. are Binary and must be encoded
(converted) into ASCII files before sending and then decoded after sending.
Some gateways such as AOL, CompuServe (just recently) and others do this
automatically so it's transparent to the user. Unfortunate many others do
not do this, so the user must encode/decode these attached file themselves
using some utility such as WINZIP. Another complication is that there are
at least 2 different methods of encoding used, MIME & UUE. (Note: MIME is
the latest and preffered method!). But, these are NOT compatible!
So you can see that the "average" user can get very frustrated when trying
to send or decode attached files. Of course compressing the files, say with
ZIP is another complication.  If you have not (yet!) experienced these
problems it's probably because you only send attached files back & forth on
the same gateway/network or you're just lucky!
However, having said all that, I do agree that when you know how to do it,
it all works well!
As an experiment, I'm  attaching a very small WORD file (TEST.DOC)  encoded
in MIME. For those who wish, please e-mail me directly (best not to clutter
the pstc!)  if you're able to read the message or not! I will tabulate the
results and post them!
Tony O'Hara
Colorado