From:   Andreas Thomas[SMTP:andre...@toshiba-teg.com]
Sent:   Wednesday, August 13, 1997 5:23 AM
To:     emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org
Subject:        Safety / Notebooks

  Dear Compliance Colleagues:

I like to hear your opinion regarding following questions:

1) PCMCIA-cards

*Have someone ever heard about safety problems (e.g. heat) caused by
PCMCIA-cards?
*Have someone a good idea how to prepare a warning in the operator's manual
that the manufacturer of the notebook could not guarantee safety aspects for
the PCMCIA-cards manufactured from other companies which are used with his
notebook ?
*Do someone know, if the manufacturers of PCMCIA-cards perform tests with
different notebooks regarding safety aspects ?
*Do test facilities which are going to perform tests according to
IEC950/EN60950 perform safety tests with cards in all slots of the notebook ?

2) IEC950/EN60950 for notebooks

I like to hear your opinion if battery powered notebooks (<30V) with external
ac-adapters should also be tested according to IEC950/EN60950 or only the
ac-adapter itself.

Thanks in advance for your comments !

Andreas Thomas
Toshiba Europe GmbH