Dear Hans,

I know of no manufacturers actually engaged in series production audits.
So lets hear from them.  Please respond to this forum.

The companies I work with look to CISPR 22 8.2.1.1 and test one sample.
Some of them are happy with 0dB margin.  I advise a higher margin, but
they are responsible for signing the DoC.  To date it would appear to me
that the 80/80 rule only has a place in making it harder to take product
off the market.  You can go to market with only one sample tested, but if
someone wants to restrict your access they have to perform an 80/80 rule
statistical test to say you fail (CISPR 22 8.2.4).

As a test lab, I'd love the 80/80 rule if the market would support it
(three-five times the testing, yippee!).  The doctrine also seems to need
a bit of clarification: Xn is refered to as the value of the individual
item.  Is this the value of the one point closest to the limit?  Can you
change the frequency?  On a product do you evaluate more than one
frequency?  How many? - the six closest to the limit?  When doing more
than one test, are several 80/80 tests performed - one for radiated, one
for conducted?  The 80/80 test is a statistician's dream and a test
engineer's nightmare.

Jon D. Curtis, PE

Curtis-Straus LLC             j...@world.std.com
One-Stop Laboratory for EMC, Product Safety and Telecom
527 Great Road                voice (508) 486-8880
Littleton, MA 01460           fax   (508) 486-8828
http://world.std.com/~csweb