> BACKGROUND:  In our bedroom near our bed, we have a UL approved multi
> outlet plugin unit (converts 2 outlets to 4)  Plugged into that adapter
> outlet is a high quality UL approved extension cord that then supplies
> power to a bedside lamp and a DeLonghi portable heater - both were *NOT*
> being powered when this event occurred.

Those heaters can draw a lot of power.  Are you sure that the extension
cord and outlet splitter are rated (approved) for sufficient ampacity?
Most extension cords are only rated around 7A.
:-)

Carbon tracking is something that happens over a period of time, and
overloading can cause this to happen.  So it doesn't much matter if the
devices were not plugged in at the time; the damage is cumulative over
time.

Another suspect is deposits left by spilled liquids and other general
household gunk.  These will create some very nice carbon tracks eventually.

Certainly one of the major causes of fire is overloaded components.  I've
seen some unbelievable multi-outlet "octopus" arrangements ...

This reminds me of the time the wife watered the plants, and the TV ...
Took me a while to figure out all the snap/crackle/pop every time I wanted
to watch a show (strictly educational, of course!)

:-)
Egon Varju

Disclaimer:  Opinions expressed are strictly personal.  Corporate will
gleefully to confirm that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

"Theory of Evolution:  For every fool-proof system, nature evolves a new
and improved fool."