Mel,

I don't know what ANSI C12.10 is, but I am pretty sure that you can get UL to
list the device even though they don't have a standard for watt-hour meters.

What you have there is a telephone or a radio  that monitors a function (the
amount of power used) and reports it periodically to someone (the utility
company). That sounds a lot like it has  a computer inside to do all this work,
and I bet that you could use UL1950.

Look at the scope of UL1950 and with a little imagination you may find that it
does cover your equipment  without much of a stretch. UL1950 specifically
mentions accounting machines (yours  reports the dollar amount owed to the
utility company), calculators (yours calculates the amount of power used), data
processing equipment (yours changes the power data into a radio signal and
transmits it, thereby processing the data), etc.

And of course there is nothing stopping UL from investigating any piece of
equipment even without an existing standard. They can always use the Council
Report route. That's how new classifications are born.

Well, my thoughts anyway.

Gabriel Roy
Hughes Network Systems
MD
(41)

Mel Pederson wrote:

Hello:

I am looking for some safety standards for watt-hour meters.  I called UL, and
they do not have any standards pertaining to this, nor do they list watt-hour
meters.  They suggested ANSI C12.10.  This applies to mechanical watt-hour
meters.  My questions are:

1)  I want to make sure that ANSI 12.10 covers safety requirements for
watt-hour meters.

2)  The watt-hour meter in question is not mechanical, so what (safety)
standard would apply?

3)  Our watt-hour meter would have an antenna on it to transmit billing
information to the utility.  What degree of isolation (from 120V, 240V, or
480V) would be required to the antenna, as it is accessible to Joe blow?  Would
(safety) standards other than those for watt-hour meters apply as there is an
antenna on this equipment?

Thank you for your help!

Mel Pedersen   Midcom, Inc.
Homologations Engineer  Phone: (605) 882-8535
mpeder...@midcom.anza.com Fax: (605) 886-6752