Scott:

Yes, I do think we have been talking a bit beyond you. Somehow, the comments of
the past couple of days have been making the assumption that you had an
HP-8566B or an HP-8568 or maybe an HP-8571 spectrum analyzer or receiver
system. I think that this assumption started when you said that you needed help
in operating the SA from the front panel when the computer died.

The analyzers that we have had in mind are large equipments which are
controlled by either an HP computer or a PC, using either HP or third party
software. The user interface is the computer's keyboard and monitor, with
little function being controlled at the SA front panel.

The HP-8591EM is a completely stand-alone equipment, with its front panel
controlling everything. There is no need of an external computer. As you say:

> You guys kind of lost me. I program my 8591EM with the antenna, preamp,
> cable, limit and whatever factors. I push the measure button and get all
> three readings, PK, QP, AVG. I hope I am not off in left field assuming
> that my analyzer knows how to make CISPR measurements and I can take the
> readings I get as gospel. I manually tune the spectrum, pick a signal and
> measure it. I do also spend a lot of time a zero span so I can listen to
> the signals. My stuff is pretty easy to pick out once you know it. Whether
> it is lin or log, I don't know, log I guess. As for spectral plots, forget
> it, not available (no plotter). No computers either, except the Excel
> workbook on my desktop. I record the three readings above by hand and
> later put them in a spreadsheet. I only do that to make it pretty since
> the analyzer has already corrected my signals. So, somebody please tell me
> that I am NOT off in left field and can sleep tonight knowing I am OK.
> Please?
>
> Scott
> s_doug...@ecrm.com

All of the decisions (magic) occur within the firmware of the 8591. So, I don't
see how the computational portion of the firmware could fail, while the balance
of the analyzer could keep working normally. Since all decisions of the
measurement process are handled automatically, you need to have a high level of
confidence in the machine to accept its data. If part of it is strange, I would
not trust any of it.

And, regarding the accuracy of the machine's judgement in analyzing signals, we
just have to trust HP's hardware and firmware, backed up by their attestations
and certifications of proper bandwidths and detector functions. If the 8591
passes its self-test, and its firmware declares itself healthy, you have little
choice other than to trust it. To personally verify such things as resolution
bandwidths, video filtering and detector time constants, you would be moving
into a major science project requiring some very good and specialized lab
equipment.

I'll bet by now that you have surmised that your best backup is to either
quickly rent a replacement, or buy a second 8591EM as a spare. You are now
getting sleepy...very...tired....now just sign that Purchase Order.

Ed

Ed Price
ed.pr...@cubic.com
Electromagnetic Compatibility Lab