schum...@valencia.rsn.hp.com writes:
>> Yes, we do it all the time. We run both SCSI-1 and SCSI-2 (single and
>> differential). We try to keep the cables as short as possible but some
>get
>> up to 18" long. We have not had any serious problems internally using
>> standard 50 conductor flat ribbon. I did have EMI problems from the
>flat,
>> unshielded cables, but solved that in other ways.
>
>Could you elaborate on the problems and your solutions?

<<snip>>

If you are asking about EMI pronblems, I can tell you the following:

One group of problem frequencies were treated at the board level. We
looked at the signals and found reflections. These were corrected with
terminating resistors. Care was taken to not affect the waveshape any more
than necessary. Another set of frequencies was taken care of by re-routing
the cable away from what turned out to be a slot antenna in the skins. A
third set of frequencies was handled by a ferrite at the source (flat
ferrite on the cable at the board connector). This problem was only in one
configuration of the product. In a different product we ended up solving
our EMI problems by solving our performance problems, that is, we needed
higher data rates with longer cables external. By going to differential
SCSI, both sets of problems went away.

We did not ever appear to have cross-talk or other signal integrity
problems that I am aware of. I do know that the Development guys spent
quite a bit of time evaluating the SCSI channel, I think more in terms of
data rates vs. cable lengths rather than integrity problems. I also know
they spent a lot of time looking at SCSI drives and settled for a 7,200
rpm 8 ms drive. We make imagers and needed data rates of 8 MB/sec or so.
They also incorporated line buffers in the product interface. If they did
anyting in firmware to correct for any problems, I do not know.

Hope this helps.

Scott
s_doug...@ecrm.com