10 meter chambers can and will become resonate somewhere below 80MHz if
they are not large enough. In order to make them large enough to avoid
this problem you must build a building taller than most buildings to contain it!
I previously worked at a company where we did not trust measurements in that
range.
They had a quiet open site like yours which was accurate.

> From: "Steve Kuiper" <aegisl...@email.msn.com>
> To: "EMC-PSTC" <emc-p...@majordomo.ieee.org>
> Subject: Indoor vs. Outdoor emissions testing
> Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:31:59 -0800
>
> Joe,
>
> Our laboratory was used to compare readings in the low-end, specifically 30
> MHz. to 90 MHz. on an OEM product   In particular the OEM customer who
> maintains 10m indoor anechoic facilities claimed that our customer was
> failing the CISPR22B limits by 5-6dB in the above freq. range.  After taking
> our own readings and comparisions with 3 different OATS in a 1.5 day
> turnaround we showed a 1.8 - 2.5 dB correlation between the OATS!!!!!! The
> meter reading at all three sites indicated a passing margin of 3-4dB using
> the identical product and configuration previously tested in the Anehoic
> Chamber.  All OATS test sites used contained different test, equipment,
> ground structure, ambients. etc.  Of course only 3 or 4 frequencies were
> observed for this comparison but we found our OATS correllation from site to
> site to be extremely good in this case.
>
> In my opinion, for engineering purposes only the 10m chamber is ideally
> suited for accomplishing the task of high volume testing.   Zero ambients,
> and automated testing is the only way to fly.  However, with all the
> improving absorber technology as such I still believe for correlation and
> repeatability there is no equal to the 10m OATS, especially for those
> located in a low ambient environment.  Our faclity is located deep within a
> canyon at the base of a 4000 foot mountain in So. Cal near a creek bed.  The
> floor noise is excellent and the ambients are low.  Line noise is
> non-existent.  Our customers see many advantages.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> SJK
>

> ---------
> This message is coming from the emc-pstc discussion list.
> with the single line: "unsubscribe emc-pstc" (without the
> quotes).  For help, send mail to ed.pr...@cubic.com,
> j...@gwmail.monarch.com, ri...@sdd.hp.com, or
> roger.volgst...@compaq.com (the list administrators).

    _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/     _/      Gordon Andrews
   _/      _/    _/  _/_/   _/       EMC Compliance Technician
  _/_/_/  _/    _/  _/  _/ _/        Office/Voice Mail:(650)-786-3899
     _/  _/    _/  _/   _/_/         Email:gordon.andr...@eng.sun.com

M  I  C  R  O  S  Y  S  T  E  M  S