Thank you for this notice. We do not make laser pointers but as a Laser
Safety Officer I am quite surprised that these devices are allowed on the
market. We use Class IIIb lasers in our products and take great care to
prevent user access to these levels of laser light. But these pointers are
everywhere and can be at least annoying and possibly even potentially
dangerous.

An example. I attended an annual celebration at a local community that
boasts great fireworks. The vendors were all there selling various wares,
balloons, glow in the dark things, etc. One of the hottest items was laser
pointers. Many kids (or their parents who had the cash) bought these and
they played tag and had "laser wars". I was quite surprised when my son
pointed out a bright red dot on my shirt. I looked up right into the eye
of one of these pointers. No harm done, no permanent damage caused,
probably because I know enough what I was seeing and looked away pretty
fast.

Now think of this. Driving down the highway at night and some kid starts
"shining" cars and/or drivers behind them. At the least the natural
aversion response should kick in and cause someone to look away. But it is
possible to have some driver get surprised, yank on the wheel and crash or
worse...

Yes, this might seem like a far-fetched possibility and it might be
improbable to have serious accidents or deaths caused, but are you willing
to take that chance? I, for one, am not.

Make no mistake, these laser pointers are tools, just like any other. But
you don't let you kid shoot their BB gun at the neighbors or cars passing
down the road, or use your nail gun for target practice, do you? These
pointers, properly used and not misused are a great tool. But in the hands
of un-supervised kids, well, I leave that to your imagination.

BTW, these devices can be rated anywhere from Class II to Class IIIa or
Class IIIb, depending on the laser source. As such, I wonder if they
should be restricted in sales to adults only. Also, there has been some
talk of banning them in some localities in the US but none have so far as
I know.

Regards,
Scott
s_doug...@ecrm.com