This may be getting a bit away from the intent of this thread, but if I'm
not mistaken, corona breakdown voltage increases with pressure (except for
very low pressures, where the opposite is true).
Ref: Paschen's Law: V is a function of p x d, where p is the pressure and d
is the gap distance

So, breakdown at higher pressure occurs at a higher voltage. As I recall,
the curve of voltage vs. pressure looks a bit like a Nike swoosh logo (no
trademark infringement intended). I can't find my copy of the curve (I know
it's here somewhere), and I don't recall at what pressure the voltage
potential bottoms out, but I seem to recall that its around 40 volts at some
small fraction of 1 atmosphere.

DB