Dear Brian

A product standard, EN 60945 exsists, which is used for marine
electrical equipment and it is almost the same as IEC 945 (or IEC 60945).
The standard is harmonized with respect to the EU EMC Directive.

The standard specifies test regarding EMC, compass safe distance,
mechanical vibration, and climatical environments.

We have done quite a lot of these tests.

Best Regards

Viggo Broendegaard
DELTA Electonics Testing

>>> <brian_ku...@leco.com> 16-12-98 00.35 >>>

A company I'm representing manufacturers Engine Panels and Pilot
House Controls
for boats, yachts, and tankers. Most of the components in these
assemblies are
gauges and mechanical controls, but some incorporate electronic
gauges and
controls.  On a recent contract with a European boat manufacturer, we
have been
asked to verify these type of assemblies to meet the European
requirements for
application of the CE marking.

Is there a new approach directive that this type of product would fall
under?
If so, what standards would apply?

If not, what tests and levels would some of you experienced people
recommend we
test this product to keeping in mind the environment in which it will
operate?

Thank you in advance.
Happy holiday.

Brian Kunde